Every ten years the Office for National Statistics (ONS) carries out a census to find out more about the make-up of local communities. The 2011 Census questionnaire contained a number of questions about housing relating to: household spaces; accommodation type; tenure; central heating; household size, rooms and bedrooms; occupancy rating (whether a household is overcrowded or under occupied); household composition; and second addresses. 2011 Census data is therefore one of the most detailed sources for housing statistics and can be explored via the NOMIS website.
Every two years the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) produce household projections at a local-authority level by applying projected household formation rates to ONS population projections. We also use ‘Popgroup Demographic Forecasting Software’ to create household projections incorporating various local assumptions. For the latest Popgroup housing projections for Cumbria and districts please contact us. DCLG also provide a wide range of additional housing research, statistics, surveys and live data, while the ONS provide a housing statistics portal bringing together a wide range of official statistics on housing.
There are two major sources of house price data; House Price Statistics for Small Areas (HPSSAs) and Street Value. The HPSSAs dataset is produced by ONS and reports the count and median price of all dwellings sold and registered in a given calendar year using open data from the Land Registry. Street Value is produced by CACI Ltd and subscribed to by the Cumbria Intelligence Observatory. Street Value uses information drawn from mortgage lenders to model house prices, providing a snapshot of prices at a given point in time.
Current Cumbria Observatory Briefings, Summaries & Resources
- Briefing: Indices of Deprivation Living Environment Domain (2019)
- Briefing: House Prices & Affordability (2017)
- Briefing: Fuel Poverty (2016)
- Briefing: Census Housing Characteristics (2011)
- Briefing: Census Second Addresses (2011)
Key Data Sources
- Government Statistical Service (GSS): Housing Statistics Interactive Tool
- NOMIS: 2011 Census Data
- MHCLG: Housing Projections
- MHCLG: Housing Statistics
- ONS: Housing Summary Measures
- ONS: Housing Datasets
- DBEIS: Fuel Poverty Statistics
- Public Health England (PHE) Profiles: Wider Determinants of Health
- ONS: Housing Pages
- Allerdale Borough Council: Housing Study
- Barrow Borough Council: Local Plan Pre-Submission Draft
- Carlisle City Council: Housing Evidence Base
- Copeland Borough Council: Strategic Housing Market Assessment
- Eden District Council: Strategic Housing Market Assessment
- South Lakeland District Council: Strategic Housing Market Assessment
Archived Cumbria Observatory Briefings, Summaries & Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
There are no frequently asked questions provided on this page at present.